Risk of B2B App Being Removed by Apple

Hello All! Question related to recent news of Apple revoking/restoring Facebook and Google dev certs they were using as a part of deploying data-collecting apps to employees *and* consumers. I have a client who has a hardware device that requires an iPad to monitor and operate the device. The hardware and iPad are owned by my client, leased to their customer, and installed in a retail environment. I set them up with DEP + SimpleMDM. Their app was approved via App Store Connect as a B2B app and therefore can only be installed on devices in my client's DEP. My client's concern is that they will get penalized by Apple like FB and Google did. They are *not* collecting personal data. They track e-commerce info in an external payment gateway, nothing on the iPad. So, here are 2 questions: 1) Does anyone know an example of anyone doing a major iOS deployment without direct *employee* supervision of the hardware? 2) Though installed on an iPad owned by my client and on not a employee-owned device, if Apple comes down hard on companies deploying apps to non-employees of my client, are their alternative non-App Store silent app installation methods that I can recommend to my client?

Replies

Formatted for readability...

Hello All! Question related to recent news of Apple revoking/restoring Facebook and Google dev certs they were using as a part of deploying data-collecting apps to employees *and* consumers.

I have a client who has a hardware device that requires an iPad to monitor and operate the device. The hardware and iPad are owned by my client, leased to their customer, and installed in a retail environment. I set them up with DEP + SimpleMDM.

Their app was approved via App Store Connect as a B2B app and therefore can only be installed on devices in my client's DEP. My client's concern is that they will get penalized by Apple like FB and Google did. They are *not* collecting personal data. They track e-commerce info in an external payment gateway, nothing on the iPad.

So, here are 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know an example of anyone doing a major iOS deployment without direct *employee* supervision of the hardware?

2) Though installed on an iPad owned by my client and on not a employee-owned device, if Apple comes down hard on companies deploying apps to non-employees of my client, are their alternative non-App Store silent app installation methods that I can recommend to my client?