Search outage in Greece?

The local search service seems to be down in Greece. Search suggestions are working through MKLocalSearchCompleter, but not the results through MKLocalSearch. The same behavior happens in the Maps app too. Here are a couple examples:

Angelou Pyrri 3

11527 Athens

Greece

Lysiou 22

10556 Athens

Greece

Replies

Unfortunately, I cannot tst from Greece !

But I tested here for the first address Angelou Pyrri

Works OK in Google Maps.

Works OK in Maps on OSX.

Works OK in Maps on iOS.

So could you explain better what does not work ? And show code if that's from within your code ?

Hey, thanks for looking into this. When you say it’s working for you, in Maps in iOS are you selecting the search result after entering the address? What I’m seeing for addresses in Greece is entering an address shows a search result/suggestion, but selecting the result shows only “No results found” instead of adding the result to the map.

With the iOS SDK, similar to the Map’s app, for addresses in Greece MKLocalSearchCompleter works to give a search suggestion, but MKLocalSearch fails to find the result.

in Maps in iOS are you selecting the search result after entering the address?

I enter the address in the search

I get one proposal that I tap

Then the map is displayed with the orange icon for pinpointing.

I'm running IOS 12.1.2 on Xs

What I’m seeing for addresses in Greece is entering an address shows a search result/suggestion, but selecting the result shows only “No results found” instead of adding the result to the map.

Cannot reproduce

With the iOS SDK, similar to the Map’s app, for addresses in Greece MKLocalSearchCompleter works to give a search suggestion, but MKLocalSearch fails to find the result.

Did not test.

Does it work on Google Maps ?

Thanks again for checking. That is odd. I get "No results found" in the Maps app on iOS 12.1.3 and macOS 10.14.3 when searching for those addresses in Greece. In my testing everything is working correctly for addresses in the US, France, Germany, Austria, and Spain.

To answer your question, those addresses in Greece do work in Google Maps.

Are you in the US? I'm in Seattle, WA.

No, I'm in France.

I've just tested on Maps, on MBPro, with OSX 10.14 (18A391) and it works OK.

I am going to update to 10.14.3 and I will tell you.

Well, just upgraded to 10.14.3
In Maps, I type Angelou Pyrri 5 (to change to avoid any cache)

Then I get a suggestion that I click

And get the expected result.

I'm running the french version of Maps

Plans, version 2.1 (build 2132 23.11.9.1)

It says uses data from TomTom and others.

Well that's Interesting...if I change my iPhone's language to French, those addresses in Greece work correctly and a pin drops to the map when the result is tapped (the Maps app and the iOS SDK with MKLocalSearch both work). When I switch my iPhone back to English, they stop working again and only show "No result found" when tapped.

Could you try another language, as spanish ?

I just typed Angelou Pyrri 3 and it worked.

I switched the iPhone language to plain english (so, US english), type Angelou Pyrri 9 and it worked.

Tested with Lysiou 22, proposes 3 addresses in Greece, selected Athens, worked OK

Tested in Spanish, works OK.

Switching to Spanish did work.

Thank you for testing with an English language setting. Based on your findings, I was also able to make it work by setting my "Region" to France, which I assume is how you had your iPhone configured for this test (Language = US English, Region = France).

Maybe this issue only occurs for certain combinations of Language and Region settings. I seem to only have a problem searching for addresses in Greece when the iPhone Language is set to English together with the Region being set to United States. Could you please try that combination on your device (Language = US English, Region = United States)?

I tested with Region US on iphone Xs, IOS 12.1.2

- with spanish language, works OK

- with english language : when I type Lysiou 4, Athens is not found, just fine something in Dafni.

- with french language, works OK

So, it is effectively setting Region to USA with english language that creates a problem. Just as if "en-US" language was the problem ; but why only for Greece ???

Should file a bug report (or may be ask to Apple support) ; there is definitely a problem here.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Bug report submitted: 47890867

Thanks again for your help narrowing down the problem! Hopefully the fact it's only affecting US English users is a good clue to Apple about where the problem lies.

Good luck.

And don't forget to close the thread when you consider it id done.