Is it still needed to support non-Retina devices when submitting apps to App Store?

Hello,

I am relying on static launch images when developing my iOS apps, that being said, I need to declare and provide launch image files for every combination of physical resolution, logical resolution and scale factor. That list of possible combinations is getting too long and I would like to remove the support for non-Retina devices, what covers iPhone and iPad models. I wonder if it is going to cause the app to be rejected by the App Store team. I would like to mantain support for only Retina devices (as my custom framework supports only iOS10+ devices), for example, the ones mentioned in the Human Design Guideline (https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/icons-and-images/launch-screen/), is it possible/supported?

The list of supported devices will be:

• iPhone 5, 5s, 5c, SE, 6, 6s, 7, 8, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7 Plus, 8 Plus, X, XS, XR and XS Max.
  • iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 4, 9.7-inch (5th generation), 9.7-inch (6th generation), 9.7-inch Pro, 10.5-inch Pro, 11-inch Pro, 12.9-inch Pro, 12.9-inch Pro (2nd generation) and 12.9-inch Pro (3rd generation).

Thank you.

Replies

Yes. Sort of. It's about 1x/2x emulation on iPad. I'd worry about how it looks to app review in that example. Keep in mind no one here can promise what they will/won't approve and there are no pre-reviews. Be sure to test before distribution.

Just remember, Apple expects devs to primarlity support iOS versions...not devices in particular, so be careful to align your goals w/their's.