NSDocument question: how it handles doc windows

Hi. Building my doc based Swift + Cocoa App. I've run into a problem with NSDocument, related to how it works.

Apple used to lay out how classes do everything, which was very helpful. Ok, they can no longer do that because Most classes are in actuallity a wide variety of other classes, posing as a single class. The docs would get nuts. But now I'm unable to do things the right way, because everything is undocumented.

my current problem:

My document potentially supports multiple document windows. And each windowController (a custom class) supports some Ui settings for the associated viewController (there is 1 view controller per windowController.) In order to get saved ui information from my document, and turn that into a window (loading a nib) I need to know how the document class handles the loading of windows when the document is loaded. Which is not documented any more.

I need some kind of resource detailing the process NSDocument uses to handle the loading of document data and windows, and how those things interact.

Replies

Can you describe what you are doing now, at a high level, and what is not working?