Am I required to use in-app purchases for digital coins/credits used to pay for real-word goods?

Apple have rules about whether you are required to use in-app purchases vs other payment processors in your app.

Specify that apps that let users purchase digital items(credits) require in-app purchases, whereas apps that sell you real-world goods and services are required to use a different payment processor.

In my app, I want a mix between those two concepts to allow users to pay for real-world goods with credit card or with digital coins/credits.

Essentially these credits can be received for free by accomplishing various tasks within the app, which are then used to pay for physical goods(shoes, watches etc.).

BUT users can also purchase extra credits with real money so they can buy physical goods.

Credits are only used to purchase real-world goods!

It is multiplatform project that have web and android app.

Would the purchase of these credits fall under in-app purchases or other payment systems?

Replies

I think as soon as you get into purchasing credits / coins / etc, you're in Apple's world, and you'll have to make that an In-App Purchase.

You are right. But they also said that you can't purchase real-world goods with credits. That's why Im confused.

> they also said that you can't purchase real-world goods with credits.

Citation?

As long as "(c)redits are only used to purchase real-world goods" then you may not use IAP and you may use a third party payment system to purchase the credits. But....can you shop for goods and see the goods and operate all the functionality in the app (except for purchase) if you do not have credits? If not then 'credits are NOT only used to purchase real-world goods.'

PBK Thank you for your answer.
You don't have to have credits to operate all the functionality in the app. Credits are only used to buy real-world gods. I reward the users with credits for completing various tasks.

For example, lets say they have 100 credits rewarded to them and they want to buy a shoes that are 110 credits. They need to buy 10 more credits with their credit card and then they can get the shoes.
In this case I should implement third party payment system or use the In app purchases from apple?

You may not use IAP to purchase those credits useful only to purchase real world shoes. You may use a third party payment system.

Hi Yokoboko, I wanted to know if you had links for the real world goods in your app, if so when you submitted the app for review initially did you receive any rejections. Are you familiar with the 3.2.2 guidelines? If so how where you able to use links in your app without violating that guideline? I’m curious because my app has received 2 rejections for violating that guideline, and your app has some similarities to mine. I look forward to your feedback. Regards, HEW

Hi,

my app is still in development. What issue do you have with 3.2.2?
Are you talking about that guideline: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#unacceptable

Can you describe the similarities between our apps?
Thank you!