Verifying signature of pkg with xar and Security.framework

We verify the signature of our install pkg files using a combination of xar calls and the crypto functions in Security framework. This has worked fine for a long time, using the productsign utility on macOS 10.11 (with Xcode 7 or 8, SDK 10.11 I think).

Now we are updating our build environment to Mojave, Xcode 10, and the 10.14 SDK. The pkg files that are signed in this environment no longer pass verification using our working code. This same code (built in the new Mojave/Xcode10/SDK10..14 env) can still verify the older pkg files. But files signed with the new productsign can't be verified with our code whether that code is built in our old or new env. Of course, pkgutil shows that all the pkg sigs are valid.

So... what changed in the new tools that would somehow create a non-verifiable signature? Is there any documentation on how pkg files are signed? Any docs on an Apple-sanctioned method for verifying pkg signatures programmatically? I'm happy to explain in more detail how we do this now, or post the code if that is needed.

TIA

Mark

Replies

After further research, I have come to the conclusion that productsign is not properly signing pkg files. The CMS signature is correct, but the RSA signature is not. Furthermore, I believe that the installer does not really care about the RSA signature, and only checks (I hope!) the CMS signature. Certainly pkgutil --check-signature does not complain about the incorrect RSA sig.

Our code checks both, so I've added a step to our build process that places the correct RSA signature in our pkg files after we first run productsign to get the CMS sig in place.

radar 47434137

Thanks for posting this, I'm currently experiencing the same issue.

Would you mind detail how you correct the RSA signature?