B2B distribution and different app versions to different clients?

Hello,

My company has version 1 of our app released and deployed for a couple customers using the B2B distribution, as follows:

(1) in iTunesConnect -> app is selected as "Available privately as a custom app for business".
(2) we have a few customers registered with their DEP ID.
(3) customers have pushed the app to their end users, via their MDM and/or redemption codes.

My general question is: What happens for our customers when we (the vendor) release version 2 of our app?

More specific:
(1) Even with version 2 released, can B2B customers stay on version 1 and continue to install version 1 on new devices?

(2) Or does version 2 effectively kill the life of version 1?

Context: some of our customers are required to validated specific versions of software and apps for production use, so if they validate on version 1 they are not allowed to have version 2. What might be a B2B best practice in this case?

This is our first time through this process, and hope I'm not way off in left field, so really appreciate any info/thoughts/guidance!

Replies

My general answer is...it depends.

Versions direct from the store will be bound by the normal process, which varies only by user configuration based on manual or auto updates.

Users post-MDM will be under the aegis of whichever package controls their fate.

Sorry, but it's late in the day and the 'context' you so dutifully rendered is currently under local TL;DR enforcement, probably because such MDM specificity (5) is better suited for theEnterprise Distribution forum.

Have you learned anything new about this process since this post? I'm running into the same exact problem: my clients need to test and certify each new version. This can cause one client to completely de-rail the rest of my clients moving to a new version... it's a major problem for us.

Hi same question :) how did you solve this problem?