App rejected, what should i change?

Hello,

this is my first app and it was really hard to code it.

I created an usefull service-app for all our customers (i work for a smarthome manufacturer). It includes many questions & answers.

I used a json file and displayed it inside a tableView + a (live)search function. Every answer is a pdf file, users can open and print if they want to. It's also include all of our installationguides. This app works complete offline.

The app includes some ar-functions. It's possible to place all our products (glass-switches) on a wall and save a screenshot or remove all placed images. Our customers can choose between many different types,sizes and colors with a pickerView.

At the moment we have over 600 app starts and 0 crashes(our users can beta test it over testflight). Everyone likes it but it's still get rejected. I called apple but it was waste of time.

Guideline 4.2 - Design - Minimum Functionality

We found that the usefulness of your app is limited by the minimal amount of content or features it includes.

Guideline 4.2.2 - Design - Minimum Functionality

We noticed that your app’s main functionality is to market your service, with limited or no user-facing interactive features or functionality. Apps that are primarily marketing materials or advertisements are not appropriate for the App Store.

We have got a partner company with a similar app (different style & some other functions) and it was not rejected.

I dont know, what i should do or change. I need some advices please.

I'll post the public link for my app:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/YeFlekyr

Replies

Every product could theoretically benefit from being able to leverage an app in the store...I mean, look at the size of the audience, if it were that simple - however, Apple didn't create an entire mobile ecosystem just to help promote 3rd party products.

Even w/the AR, your app still sounds like a catalog. And sure, in your example, no promotion, no app, but there you have it. Unless you can provide unique features that not only interests and enriches users, vs. -customers- alone, that also promotes the platform, you can continue to expect push-back during reviews.

I've downloaded your app and I don't see it to be more than a collection of PDF files. Furthermore I can't read/write German thus probably can't find if there's any more "advanced feature" of the app.

The general consensus around here is that "if it can be done as a website, then deliver it as a website and not an app". A PDF-Collection definitely falls within this criteria.

Since this is for a "smart device", one way to get pass Guideline 4.2 is to have the app communicate directly with the device. Either to control it, or for diagnostics purposes. In turn, this could be done via Bluetooth, or even via serial communication through the device's LEDs (e.g. morse code to be captured by the camera) or speakers (subliminal audio or even FSK).

Furthermore, not having English content could be detrimental to your app's review process. You might get assigned to reviewer who doesn't understand the app's default-language and end up just tapping around and never get to understand its deeper value.