ARSCNView vs SCNView

Okay, so I'm pretty new to ARKit and can't get my head around something. Has anyone got any ideas on why in the Handling 3D interaction and UI Controls in AR example app, Apple has used the SCNView instead of ARSCNView? I would have thought that you would want to use ARSCNView over the SCN in an ARKit app.

Thanks

Replies

Hello,

The sample that you linked does use a subclass of ARSCNView (VirtualObjectARView), but the var was simply named sceneView, which seems to have caused your confusion.

Your thinking is correct, you want to use ARSCNView for ARKit apps!

Hi there

Thanks for your response! Ah, yes I see what you're talking about however, I was more referring to the fact the app uses the standard SceneKit view in the Main.storyboard apposed to the ARKit SceneKit view.

Cheers

Hello, I see what you mean in the storyboard,

If you select the SCNView in the storyboard, and then go to the identity inspector, you will see that the Custom Class is set to VirtualObjectARView, in short, you should always check the particular subclass that you are dealing with in the identity inspector, the storyboard will only display the original class name that was dragged in from the Objects Library.