can I use an image off the internet for my sticker app

So i'm making an sticker app and and i was wondering if i could use an ramdom image off the internet and use it on my app im making. If I do is there anything i have to do? Will I get in trouble? Or does it fall under the fair use policy.

Accepted Reply

Can't believe it's 2019 and people still have to ask questions like this...

Devs are expected to check for, and obtain rights to use, any content, from any source, that they do not already have proof-of-rights to use, that isn't their own.

In other words...no, we can't just grab random images off the 'net and make them our own. It's called stealing, same as if you walked out of a Walmart® without paying for a breakfast burrito.

References include the ASRG's 5.2/5.2.1 Intellectual Property, and your dev contract, which detail how the dev is expected to conduct respect for brands, content, etc. but in your example, it basically is comes down to being able to show proof-of-rights to use should Apple ask.

Replies

Can't believe it's 2019 and people still have to ask questions like this...

Devs are expected to check for, and obtain rights to use, any content, from any source, that they do not already have proof-of-rights to use, that isn't their own.

In other words...no, we can't just grab random images off the 'net and make them our own. It's called stealing, same as if you walked out of a Walmart® without paying for a breakfast burrito.

References include the ASRG's 5.2/5.2.1 Intellectual Property, and your dev contract, which detail how the dev is expected to conduct respect for brands, content, etc. but in your example, it basically is comes down to being able to show proof-of-rights to use should Apple ask.