9 Replies
      Latest reply on Jan 10, 2019 1:43 AM by eskimo
      kurash Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We have a daemon process that handles requests made from apps running in user sessions.  These requests are submitted via mach ports.  The "client" app is third-party, so it has a different signing cert etc.  Currently, the app can be sandboxed and just needs to include a particular application group entitlement, and mach port IPC works fine.  However, if the app is also hardened, the IPC no longer works.

Is there some new entitlement that can be added to allow such IPC to work?  We would prefer not to add the complexity of a user agent that brokers requests between the client app and our system process, although I think that is one approach (with apple events or XPC). But still it would mean the user agent could not be hardened.

We can jump through security hoops as needed, as long as the capability is available.

• Re: mach ports and app hardening (on macOS)
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,085 points)

Currently, the app can be sandboxed and just needs to include a particular application group entitlement

What “application group entitlement”?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

In my .entitlements file (also appears in the Xcode GUI) I've got:

<key>com.apple.security.application-groups</key>
              <array>
                   <string>com.company.moof</string>
              </array>

Our deamon calls bootstrap_check_in(..., "com.company.moof.random-stuff", ...) when creating the port, and clients use bootstrap_look_up to set up the connection with the appropriate port name.  Works a charm until I enable Hardening in the client app.

I’m surprised that worked.  The canonical way for a sandboxed app to get access to a Mach service registered outside of its sandbox is via the com.apple.security.temporary-exception.mach-lookup.global-name entitlement.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

This has worked for a few years now (at least since Dec 20 2016, when the commit to our svn happened).  I did it this way based on some docs from Apple, or maybe on some guidance from DTS (?)  I can't recall where the information originated.  It's also remotely possible I just looked at darwin source to figure out what would work, but I don't think darwin source has sandboxing in it, soi that seems unlikely.

Is there a non-temporary entitlement that can be used for this, and that will work in the case of a Hardened app?  Or some other mechinsm that will allow third-party apps to communicate with our system daemon?

Ken Thomases Level 4 Level 4 (745 points)

I assume you're referring to App Sandbox Design Guide: App Sandbox in Depth — IPC and POSIX Semaphores and Shared Memory. However, that's for apps which come from the same company/organization/team. You say you're working with a third-party app. I expect that security was tightened to ensure that the program claiming to be part of the group is from the same team as the group.

That might have been the starting point, although I think the docs were a bit different a few years ago.  It must be, as you say, that security was tightened since then, since our app group value does not use the team prefix mentioned in the (newer?) docs.  Adding the prefix would defeat the purpose (of our use of this entitlement).  If we just needed to allow IPC between our own apps, we'd use XPC services and be done with it.

I can't recall where the information originated.

That’s a shame.  I’d be very interested in tracking down the origin of this technique.

I don't think darwin source has sandboxing in it

You are correct.

Is there a non-temporary entitlement that can be used for this … ?

What’s wrong with using com.apple.security.temporary-exception.mach-lookup.global-name?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I'll see if I can find the source of information.

I'm fine with using com.apple.security.temporary-exception.mach-lookup.global-name.  The only thing that puts me off from it is the "temporary" part.

Thanks!

The only thing that puts me off from it is the "temporary" part.

Yeah, that’s understandable.  It’s best to interpret “temporary” in the context of the Mac App Store, where apps using these entitlements for their initial sandbox efforts were expected to move to some alternative approach as the App Sandbox improved.  However, given that you’re not deploying via the Mac App Store, the “temporary” shouldn’t concern you.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”