Use API to upload an ipa to TestFlight

The api works fine to list builds and get info about those builds or change meta data. But can I actually use it to upload an IPA?

Replies

Hey Doozmen,

Unfortunately, the App Store Connect API does not support this functionality at this time. However, I would recommend using the Command Line tool (altool) located in XCode. It can typically be found at the below folder path.

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Application\ Loader.app/Contents/Frameworks/ITunesSoftwareService.framework/Versions/A/Support/altool

Below are the commands that I usually send with it.

--validate-app -f [Path to File] -u [App Store Connect Username] -p [App Store Connect Password or 2-Factor Token ID] --output-format xml

I typically generate this and export the results into a PLIST. I then check to make sure I was returned a success code and then change the --validate-app code to --upload-app which actually sends the IPA file to Apple. I wont get into why I do it this way, but it helps with build number preservation. if you have a dense build environment.

I also run everything in extreme debug mode, but be careful as this does expose your login credentials so proper access controls are critical.

Hopefully this helps!