Free Trails Outside StoreKit

I have an app that uses in app purchases for auto renewing subscriptions. I need to offer users a free trail but Storekit's free trail feature does not fit my needs. Storekit's free trial feature forces the user to sign up for a subscription to get a free trial. I am concerned that this will turn away users since I am asking for a commitment before they've had a chance to try the app. I understand that they can cancel the subscription before the trail ends. It still is extra work on the user's part.

I would like to allow users to start a free trail without signing up for a subscription. At the end of the trial, they can sign up for a subscription to continue to create new data. If they don't, they can still use the app to view their existing data.

In effect, I am using Storekit for auto reewing subscriptions but would like to offer a free trails using my own implementation. Has anyone done this before or has experienced a rejection for this scenario? I am trying to figure out if this is allowed/disallowed.

Accepted Reply

Free trials for anything in code is not a violation of any guideline. (The only requirement is that after the free period the app must continue to function at some level.)

Apple makes it super easy to offer free trials for stuff that is included in an IAP using the autorenewable free trial period and the 'free' non-consumable IAP tier. Because all other non-consumable IAP purchases can't be time limited they had to explicitly state:

"Non-subscription apps may offer a free time-based trial period before presenting a full unlock option by setting up a Non-Consumable IAP item at Price Tier 0 that follows the naming convention: “XX-day Trial.”

But this statement removes a restriction on IAP purchases for that free tier, it does not place a restriction on anything.

Although it is not a guarantee, I have a free trial period in OptionPosition+ before the user is required to purchase the autorenewable IAP just as you propose. It is code left over from before autorenewable subscriptions. I did not do it for your reason - I did it for those people who find purchasing an IAP a foreign and confusing experience.

You will want to either write something to the device's keychain or write something to the user's iCloud key-value file to prevent a user from deleting and reinstalling the app to restore their free trial period. The first approach grants a new free trial everytime the user gets a new device.

Replies

The scheme as dictated by the store enables a fluid conversion to a formal subscription, rather than a casual/unconnected trial...and that's the point, I think.

Otherwise, AFAIK, Apple doesn't provide a non-storekit API DIY trial scheme - that would be all on the dev, and perhaps risk violating the ASRGs.

Yeah regarding the ASRG this line muddies the waters "Non-subscription apps may offer a free time-based trial period before presenting a full unlock option by setting up a Non-Consumable IAP item at Price Tier 0 that follows the naming convention: “XX-day Trial.”

Does that imply Subscription based apps can't provide their own time based trials? Possible workaround, instead of prompting people to sign up for the free trial, maybe your app should just lead off with all the features unlocked, then a week or so later it goes into the state of requiring a subscription to continue using those features.

That is exaclty what the app does. All features are unlocked when the user intially logs in and the free trial starts . After the free trial expires, they can continue to use the app to view data but need a subscription to add new data.

I’m guessing it’s fine. You aren’t subverting the store in anyway. If you tried to offer an alternate way to get the trial (for example, by signing up through your website), then you are in violation. By simply limiting features a week after the install, that seems perfectly fine. Your reviewer will know for sure though.

Free trials for anything in code is not a violation of any guideline. (The only requirement is that after the free period the app must continue to function at some level.)

Apple makes it super easy to offer free trials for stuff that is included in an IAP using the autorenewable free trial period and the 'free' non-consumable IAP tier. Because all other non-consumable IAP purchases can't be time limited they had to explicitly state:

"Non-subscription apps may offer a free time-based trial period before presenting a full unlock option by setting up a Non-Consumable IAP item at Price Tier 0 that follows the naming convention: “XX-day Trial.”

But this statement removes a restriction on IAP purchases for that free tier, it does not place a restriction on anything.

Although it is not a guarantee, I have a free trial period in OptionPosition+ before the user is required to purchase the autorenewable IAP just as you propose. It is code left over from before autorenewable subscriptions. I did not do it for your reason - I did it for those people who find purchasing an IAP a foreign and confusing experience.

You will want to either write something to the device's keychain or write something to the user's iCloud key-value file to prevent a user from deleting and reinstalling the app to restore their free trial period. The first approach grants a new free trial everytime the user gets a new device.

Thanks, I store the free trial informaton on the server, so they won't get a free trail even if they delete and re-install.

Now, after a few months, do you have any additional perspective on this? Was your app approved as suggested? Do you still think doing it this way is the right thing for users? I am struggling with the same question and decision on whether to implement a manual free trial period (so user does not have to make a decision initially) or whether to just use the auto-renewable introductory pricing (forcing the user to decide up-front). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks.