Universal Link return control to calling app with return code

I have a requirement to allow a universal link to trigger an iOS App B (which I am in control of) from iOS App A (a third-party app which I am not in control of), where App B does some authentication and then returns control to App A with a response code / token. I have seen similar questions about universal links in the forum but they were either unanswered or not looking for the same information on the passing back of control / result codes. Is this possible in an Apple approved way currently? I've seen people approach this by hiding the iOS back link and moving their equivalent of App B to the background, but this does not address the requirement to pass data back to the calling app, and triggering the backgrounding of App B without user interaction to me sounds like it contravenes Apple guidelines in principle. Can anyone advise if the desired behaviour is possible, if they have achieved it using an Apple sanctioned approach, and direct me to some relevant information or a high level view of the approach?

Many thanks.

Replies

Returns added for readability.

-=-

I have a requirement to allow a universal link to trigger an iOS App B (which I am in control of) from iOS App A (a third-party app which I am not in control of), where App B does some authentication and then returns control to App A with a response code / token.

I have seen similar questions about universal links in the forum but they were either unanswered or not looking for the same information on the passing back of control / result codes. Is this possible in an Apple approved way currently?

I've seen people approach this by hiding the iOS back link and moving their equivalent of App B to the background, but this does not address the requirement to pass data back to the calling app, and triggering the backgrounding of App B without user interaction to me sounds like it contravenes Apple guidelines in principle.

Can anyone advise if the desired behaviour is possible, if they have achieved it using an Apple sanctioned approach, and direct me to some relevant information or a high level view of the approach?

-=-

Sounds like you want to use something like a twitter/facebook/gmail login, except you want to grab some data.

Might help if you talked more about what your app A actually does and what that data / 'return code' is...

While your authentication scheme alone might fly, the data component would presumably require you to own both apps, at which point, there may not be a need for more than one. The restriction is based on dev-owned apps only knowing about themselves.

My opinion is that you might be running up against ASRG's 2.3.9; 2.4.2; 2.5.2; 2.5.4; 2.5.8, as examples - could easily be others.