Is there a UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities for Face Tracking capability?

I’m about to submit our new ARKit2 Face Tracking controlled game over the weekend and have only just noticed that while there is a UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities key for ARKit, there doesn‘t appear to be one that requires suitable hardware for face tracking (ie iPhone X and above or new iPad Pro)

Is there a way to flag this for the App Store so we don’t get a lot of annoyed users with non Face tracking devices downloading and giving us bad reviews?

Accepted Reply

There is not.

I'd recommend submitting a feature request. It'll be marked as a duplicate, but it's worthwhile to be heard on this.

Our overall recommendation is to design the app to run and provide meaningful value on all devices.

Replies

There is not.

I'd recommend submitting a feature request. It'll be marked as a duplicate, but it's worthwhile to be heard on this.

Our overall recommendation is to design the app to run and provide meaningful value on all devices.

According to the docs, properly enabling the arkit UIRDC key is sufficient...no other flags are necessary.

See the 'Important' disclaimer here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/arconfiguration/2923553-issupported

I worried this might be the case.

In in this case the control method is everything (your Face is your controller and your in-game character) so the only meaningful content I can give to players on older devices is a polite “Sorry but you need an iPhone X to run this game” screen and point out the device requirements in the app description. (I’ve seen prior games do that when they’ve not been able to run on older devices but can’t filter them on device capability so there’s precedent)

Luckily it’s a free app, but the 1 star reviews from people whose lives were ruined by missing the 30 seconds of time downloading it could be an issue.

I’ve added a feature request too. RADAR 46548073

Update, game submitted, going through the review process at the moment.
In the end we decided to spend a bit of extra dev time in making the 'meaningful value' an actual playable variant of the game (albeit with touch control, a dummy head and no camera input) so there's at least some fun to be had if you download it after reading all the "This game is for the iPhone X" text. We've set the screenshots for the non-compatible versions to the warning screen that pops up if you don't have a true depth camera and a shot of the touch controlled version of the game too.
Seeing other posts where different keys were needed but only added to the OS post launch I realised that if a True Depth Camera key was added, there'd be no way to add it to the game once it was released (as you can't change feature requirements once a game is on the App Store), so it made sense to at least make it something we could support long term in this game.

Good info, thanks for the update, and good luck in the store.

Ken