Why doesn't Mac App Store accept 1728x1080 App preview videos taken on 13 inch MacBook Pro?

So, when I take a screen recording on my 13 inch macbook pro with retina 2018, I cannot use the in App Store Connect because it isn't the correct dimensions. I get a 1728x1080 video if I export 1080 from Quicktime. I have to scale the video using VLC to be able to upload it to the Mac App Store and the quality ***** after scaling.

Is there a way to do it without having to scale the video?

Accepted Reply

heh, so you just have to crop it in iMovie. I took a look at some other app videos on the Mac App Store and it seems you either have to crop to "fit" (which will have black bars, but the entire Mac screen will be visible in the video) or you have to choose "Crop to Fill" in which case the edges of the screen will get clipped.

Another tip for anyone else out there is this: iMovie sometimes will refuse to let you export the video in 1080p (the option will be grayed out when you try to export). Workaround is this:

1) Create a new "Trailer" in iMovie (not a Movie).

2) Convert the "Trailer" to a Movie.

3) Delete all the videos/images that the iMovie "Trailer" template provided.

4) Add your video.

5) Export in 1080p.

Replies

heh, so you just have to crop it in iMovie. I took a look at some other app videos on the Mac App Store and it seems you either have to crop to "fit" (which will have black bars, but the entire Mac screen will be visible in the video) or you have to choose "Crop to Fill" in which case the edges of the screen will get clipped.

Another tip for anyone else out there is this: iMovie sometimes will refuse to let you export the video in 1080p (the option will be grayed out when you try to export). Workaround is this:

1) Create a new "Trailer" in iMovie (not a Movie).

2) Convert the "Trailer" to a Movie.

3) Delete all the videos/images that the iMovie "Trailer" template provided.

4) Add your video.

5) Export in 1080p.