"a software update is required to connect to iphone" fails to install

Reformatted harddrive on my MBP and installed latest versions of XCode 10.1 and macOS Mohave 10.14.1 and started up XCode, opened my project and connected my iphone and I get a prompt to install software update ... select install and it fails with:

"Installation Failed. Can't install the sofwatre becuase it is not currently available from the Sofwatre Update server."

Running latest iOS on my iphone X ...

What now?

Can't seem to find any solutions other than issues with beta software ... is the server down today?

cheers

-m

Accepted Reply

This thread has been deleted

Yes iTunes did prompt for the update (until I prevented it) and so did xcode

Good news -- date time was the issue:

Date/time is set automaticaly on mac but manually on the iphone -- when I changed this to automatic then this update prompt didn't show and xcode is happy now recognizing the device

Thanks for that !!!!

cheers

-m

Replies

Do you mean iTunes offered to update it? Is it configured for auto updates?

iOS 12.1 is latest public release.

Confirm the date and time preferences in both your MBP and your device are synched.

Also see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203213

I am trying to sync my iPhone 14. But I am getting a pop up sheet that prompts me to install a software update. However, I keep getting an error message saying "Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."

The Learn More button links to the following support article: If your Mac says that a software update is required to connect to iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

But the article doesn't say what to do when the install fails. It only suggests to update your macOS on your Mac. However, I already have the latest release of Ventura 13.5. There is no more recent non-beta update.

The previous post above seems to hint the solution has to do with Time & Date settings, but I have both macOS and iOS 17 set to automatically update.