Xcode Quickly Open Into New Tab

I find Xcode tabs to be very cumbersome. I use Cmd+Shift+O to open files into a tab. Is there any way to get Xcode to not overwrite the current tab? Instead I'd like Cmd+Shift+O to open the file into another tab and if the file is already open in another tab, simply switch to that tab?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of KGBird Down vote post of KGBird
9.4k views

Replies

If you go to Xcode's Preferences, on the Navigation pane, do you see the text at the bottom explaining how various modifier keys change the behavior of clicks? Well, those also work when double-clicking items in the Open Quickly suggestions list. And they work when pressing return after navigating that list with the arrow keys.

So, in short, hold down the Option key when making a choice from Open Quickly.

I have the same question. The option of opening in a new tab doesn't seem to exists, as option-key opens a new editor. Would be cool to have new tab as default option when confirming with enter. Is it possible to make a feature request to Apple somehow?
You can keep the current file open by pressing ⌘ ⌥ O.
After that, quick open creates a new tab.
In Xcode's preferences, there's a "navigation" tab that has some options about new tabs vs new windows. Also, in the same way that you can double click on a file in the project navigator to automatically open it in a new tab, it looks like (at least most of the time), if you double-click on an option from the "open quickly" pane it will open in a new tab.

Also be aware that if the title of the tab you are in is in italics, you can double click the tab - then it will become 'normal' font text and will NOT be replaced. Making a change in a file will also change the title from italics to normal and stop it being replaced in the same way. Tabs were driving me insane till I worked this out. Dont know if there's a keyboard shortcut for the double click?

• As I understand the editor, ⌘ ⌥ O shortcut behaviour is equivalent to the double click on an italic tab

Add a Comment