Boot Camp Fails, Claims Not Enough Space.

I'm taking an accounting class and Quickbooks for Mac was supposed to be fine, but the files are only for the Windows version and it turns out that they changed the course but not the requirements. As such, I decided to use Boot Camp to partition my hard drive and load Windows on the partition. It is supposed to be fairly straightforward.

I am trying to install Windows 10 on my Early 2013 MacBook Pro Mac OS 10.14.2 Beta (18C48a). I have 99.31 GB available on my hard drive and an empty 250 GB flash drive and a 64 bit Win 10 ISO file downloaded directly from Microsoft. When running Boot Camp Assistant, I have all three options checked per the instructions: Create Win 10 disk, Download Win support, and Install Win 10. From there, I click continue and proceed to the page where my ISO file and flash drive are correctly preselected for me. I click continue where I accept the warnings about permanently deleting data and Boot Camp begins copying data. After 10-30 minutes, it stops working and gives me the following error:

"Your bootable USB drive could not be created.

There is not enough space available on the disk."

Per Install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support, I should have at least 64 GB available for the partition and I have that. One possible issue per If Boot Camp Assistant gives a 'Not enough space' error - Apple Support, flash install media that has been converted will have 32 and 64 bit images. That shouldn't be my issue because I have an ISO direct from MS.

Can anyone help me get this running? I've been working on this for two days and need to get it going for a college class by tomorrow 11/24. I'd really rather not buy a separate laptop.

Thanks!

Replies

I’m sorry that this response is past your deadline. Part of the reason for that is that you posted to Apple Developer Forums, and this is essentially a user question. In the future I recommend that you post to Apple Support Communities, run by Apple Support.

As to your specific issue, I can’t help you with Boot Camp, alas — I have no experience with that technology. In your situation I recommend that you explore virtual machines (VM) technology. Boot Camp has its place — most notably, when you want to run games — but if your goal is to run day-to-day productivity apps then VMs are much easier to wrangle.

I use VMware Fusion for this sort of thing, but that’s mostly an accident of history. There are a bunch of good VM products out there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"