Getting Location updates only from the Watch (even when an iPhone is connected)

Hi,

Is it possible to always use the GPS chip in the Apple Watch for a WatchKit app, even when a iPhone is connected (for Apple Watch series 2 and above because these models have a GPS chip on board).

For my app on watchOS I need the most accurate GPS data. Unfortunately, when an iPhone is connected location request (using the standard code) are delegated to the iPhone and the GPS chip of the iPhone is used. This makes perfectly sense from a power conservation perspective, but not from an accuracy perspective. The iPhone could be tucked away in a coat, bag etc. In that case the phone has no clear view to the sky, while the watch has. The GPS data from the watch are much, much more accurate in that case (and the iPhone GPS data extremely inaccurate)

Is there a way to configure the CLLocationManager to block delegation of GPS location requests to the iPhone and always use the GPS chip in the watch?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Replies

Hello Jazzhands

Did you managed to overcome this? I have the same issue.

Thanks

Those discussion threads may be of interest. What you ask does not seem possible as of today.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47543655/request-location-on-the-apple-watch-only-without-code-on-the-paired-phone

h ttps://www.imore.com/heres-what-apple-watch-can-do-without-iphone

What happens if you turn the iPhone off ?

We have the same issue. If we off the iPhone, GPS location from the phone will stop. But we cann't insist users to off the phone to get accurate GPS in Watch.