How to get fullscreen on the new iPads?

I'm using Xcode 10.1 under macOS 10.13.6. I created a new project from the iOS Master-Detail template. Without changing anything in the new project, I build and run against the new iPad Pro 11" simulator. Same for the new iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd gen.

The app is not quite full screen. The status bar is above the top of the app, not in the top of the navbar as expected. The bottom of the app doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the screen. It stops just above that thin bar near the bottom of the screen.

This same app run on any of the iPhone X series simulators is completely full screen as expected.

What extra steps are required to make an app appear in complete full screen on an iPad Pro 11"? Again, I'm using an unmodified new project from the Master-Detail template.

The next issue is setting UIRequiresFullScreen to YES. Doing this results in vertical black bars down the left and right sides of the iPad Pro 11" screen when turned to landscape and smaller horizontal black bars at the top and bottom sides when in portrait. In other words, the app is letterboxed. Why? The letterboxing is also on the new 12.9" iPad but not as large.

What extra steps are required to allow an app that requires full screen to actually be full screen and not letterboxed?

Perhaps the answer to both of these issues is the same.

Replies

I got it working with a sledgehammer.

I deleted all versions of Xcode installed on my computer. I went to ~/Library/Developer/Xcode and I deleted the following:

• All files named DeveloperPortal*
  • The DerivedData folder
  • The Installs folder (which just had some empty folders in it)
  • Under UserData/IB Support I deleted the "Simulator Devices" folder

Then I did a fresh download and install of Xcode 10.1 from the App Store.

After that, a clean build of the test app worked as expected. I don't know which of the above steps was really needed but I got it working.

Too late now, but I'd wonder if just an option-clean build folder would have been a friend in that example.

Good info, tho, either way, thanks.

hi is it possible enable fullscreen in a old app xib?

hi RickMaddy

i have same issue

did you solve this problem?