App Preview Recommended Format

Hi Developers,

We are trying to get our new app preview video into our app and trying to figure out what Apple's review process will approve. We have footage shot and edited for iPhone X format (886x1920 resolution H264) 30 second clip. Can we just post it at that resolution and App Store will convert it to the other resolutions or do we need to make multiple versions? (Have a iPhone 5.5" format at 1080x1920).

The instructions at https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/dev910472ff2. were not clear about app preview, only snapshots. Any advice will be appreciated.

Albert Choy

Replies

I don't think they resize preview videos for you. It has to be in the exact format they specify. Resizing images is a lot more trivial than resizing videos.

The help page you linked to says the following:

For iPhone, screenshots for 5.5-inch devices (iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus) are required. Screenshots for iPhone XS Max are optional. These screenshots will scale down for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone X.

For iPad, screenshots for 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation) are required. These screenshots will be scaled down appropriately to other device sizes when viewed on the App Store in each territory. Screenshots for 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation) are optional. These screenshots will scale down for 11-inch iPad Pro, but not for older iPad devices.

App previews can scale down in the same way.

So you should submit two app previews: one for iPhone 6.5" (886x1920) and one for iPhone 5.5" (1080x1920). These two previews will be scaled down to all other iPhone sizes.

How in the world do you get an 6.5 inch preview? Using simulator, I got much higher resolutions and I can't find a way to scale them down and keep the aspect ratio within the bounds of the required dimensions.

• You can create an app preview with the required 886x1920 resolution using iMovie. Just import and select the video you've captured and go to File>Share>App Preview... *It's worth noting that the video has to be between 15 and 30 seconds.

• I go to FIle / Share, but there is no App Preview in iMovie

• You have to create a movie file using QuickTime and then import into iMovie

Add a Comment

Did you find a good soluation to this?