Is it possible to import text from built in iOS notes App?

Is it possible to gain access to the notes app data? Find a specific note (either on phone or in icloud) and then import all of it's text?

Would this pass Apples approval process?

I do not need to be able to write back to the note, but if this was possible it may be useful.

Thanks! 😉

• Did you ever figure out how to do this? I would like to also like my iOS app to access a Note in the Notes app on an iOS device.

Add a Comment

Replies

You can do it on MacOS, with script:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43704434/programmatically-access-apple-notes-contents

That should not be possible on IOS, as it would be a way to have access to user confidential data from an app.

If the user has installed the Apple Files App the notes can be saved fron Notes App to Files App.

In Files App the user can choose in wich app he want to save the files, also have the choice between keep the files in the device or iCloud Drive.

Your app can have access to the Files app to import the note from there using UIDocumentPickerViewController.

That should not be possible on iOS, as it would be a way to have access to user confidential data from an app.

Agreed, although there are other privacy-sensitive subsystems (Contacts, Photos, and so on) that have an API to access the underlying data, with appropriate privacy protection.

@microkid, If you’d like to see such an API added in the future, I encourage you to file an enhancement request describing your requirements.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

The action in the Shortcuts app can find notes based certain criteria and it return the note contents to the shortcut.