7 Replies
      Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 12:50 PM by KMT
      chris_rocketdesk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The new iPad Pro (2018) looks amazing.  Now with USB-C!

Does that mean that apps for iPad now support IOKit?  Or is USB-C port support limited to known and "made for iPad" devices (as before with lightning)?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.  I'm just really excited to push apps to the next level!

Thank you,

Chris

• Re: Does iPad Pro (2018) support IOKit?
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,185 points)

IOKit has included iOS support since 2.0

Perhaps you're asking about I/O Kit ala macOS...

Hi KMT,

Yes, I am think specifically about user-mode drivers (in Swift apps).  For instance an app which communicates via IOHID with a custom USB device.

Traditionally IOKit has been a private framework on iOS.  What I'm wondering is if IOKit (including the user-mode Swift IOKit library) will be available for use with the new iPad Pros.

I know that the 2018 iPads are brand new.  It's possible that this is something Apple is looking to add support for in iOS 12.2 or later as well.  Or the USB-C port may only be designed to support known device types (MIDI, video out, cameras, mass storage devices, etc.) and "made for iPad" devices...but not non-certified custom USB devices.

I am mostly looking for insights.  A lot of us are looking at the new iPad Pro and thinking that it is really shaping up to be a laptop replacement.

Chris

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,185 points)

Since you've mentioned it...twice, I don't see Apple pulling the plug on MFi, which would be the net effect if a mobile device was enabled to support non-licensed hardware port-centric connectivity.

I'd expect things to stay as-is in that regard, but as always (and keeping in mind Apple tends to avoid discussing future plans in public), devs are encouraged to express their desires via enhancement requests using the bug reporter link, below left - don't forget to add your report #s to your thread for reference, thanks and good luck.

Ken

Thanks for the wise words Ken.

The YouTube reviews (Engadget, Verge, etc.) of the new iPad Pro talked about how the reviewers were excited about the new USB-C port and how developers would be working to add support for USB devices to their apps. 

So hopefully this is already something supported in iOS 12.1...or in the pipeline.  [And if not, I understand the business and usability reasons why Apple would stick with MFi-only.  It might be wise in that latter case to set expectations with the tech press, as some reporters seem to be thinking that iPad Pro (2018) should be able to work with most any USB device that can be plugged into a MacBook Pro.]

NOTE: as recommended by KMT, suggestion has also been filed via the Bug Reporter

# 45690720

ahunt561 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I came here to ask this same question!  I'd be very interested in an API to talk over the new USB C port as well.