Xcode 10 simulator iPad 9.7 vs 12.9 views rendering not to Storyboard's constraints

Greetings,

In my app I have a Storyboard's 2 views constraints set for the ipad 9.7 to split in equally the ipad's landscape dimensions, but when the device is an ipad 12.9 for the view's constrains to shift its left veiw is to be narrower with the right to be wider to display more url/html content. In Xcode 10 the Storyboard contraints between the devices adjusts sizes properly between device resolutions, but when I run in Simulator under each device, the higher resolution iPad 12.9 renders the same as iPad 9.7 ...both views equal in width. I don't have a iPad 12.9" to test directly on hardware, so was wondering if anyone else noticed this discrepancy ...their views adjusting properly in Xcode Storyboard, but not in Simulator 10 for a given device. I did not see any setting to change resolutions in Simulator's Menu, so thought I'd post here.

I'd also like to take proper Screenshots that I can use for the Apple Store, but am stumped if its a Simulator bug or ???

Any advice is highly appreciated. Regards.

Replies

Is your app being scaled up? What does UIScreen.main.bounds report? Are you using a launch storyboard or separate launch images? What Xcode version? That’s normally how you opt in to new device resolutions - build with an Xcode version that knows about it, and make sure you’re supplying the relevant launch images or storyboard.

I haven't looked at UIScreen.mainbounds report ....but for my launch images, I am using an .xcassets catalog file in Xcode 10.1 for my app designed for for IOS 11.0+. I see in the .xcassets file / my launch Images for ipad landscape, IOS 7.0 or later has only two launch image files: 1x (1024 x 768) and 2x (2048 x 1536). If an iPad 12.9" in landscape is 2732 x 2048, and I'm using storyboard with all necessary constraints .....is the 2x launch screen in my .xcassets resolution forcing contraints to a lower resolution with different constraints?

Any suggestions how to resolve? ...do I need to add a 2732 x 2048 launch screen somehow to .xcassets file or add some device detection code since my ipad storyboard constraints are being ignored in Simulator?

I switched to using a Launch Screen.storyboard ...and now constraints work properly per device. I did not realize that launch screen resolution takes priority over main.storyboard constraints and for iPad 12.9 there is not a resolution its launch image in .xcassets file. Once I changed my launch image settings to use a Launch Image Storyboard ...main.storyboard constraints for all devices then worked fine.

Thanks Junkpile for pointing me in the right direction to resolve my issue. I was updated an older app, that used .xcassets file for launch images that was the root of the problem.