Details of iOS app auto update process ?

A new version of our app is now "Ready for Sale".

However, although I've got auto-update set on my device, the app hasn't updated automatically (yet).

Can anyone explain the exact conditions for an app to auto-update ?

In other words, what do I (as a user) need to do for the app to update ?

Do I need to move it to the background ?

Do I need to restart the app ?

I can't find any details in Apple documentation.

I (and I'm sure other developers) would be really grateful if someone could provide some details.

Cheers,

Peter

Replies

If the version on your device was signed with a development profile (e.g. by running from Xcode), then it will not update to the store version.

It definitely will not update while it’s running in the foreground. I suspect it could update while suspended in the background (of course it would be terminated at that point). Probably not while running in the background. It can definitely be updated if terminated.

But it even if it is the store version and not running, I haven’t seen any documentation on when it decides to update. The OS tries to be smart about resource management, so it may consider things such as battery level / charging status, Wi-Fi vs cellular, time since last update check etc. when deciding when to update. They typically don’t document such things, to leave room for future tweaks.