exportArchive: Xcode Server does not support uploading apps to Apple.

I am attempting to add continuious integration to our current deployment process for app builds. I've added some unit tests and configured xcode server on an externally stored mac mini to build and run tests on push to github- and that all works great. But, my bot is returning an error after it generates my signed archive that says:

"exportArchive: Xcode Server does not support uploading apps to Apple.".

I am a bit lost. I would love xcode server to upload my build for me though I'll setup fastlane to do the upload process if needed. But what I'm confused about is why the bot is returning this as an error.

Questions: Is there a way to set up my bot to upload to itunes connect

and: how do I get rid of this "unresolved issue"?

Replies

What version Xcode (server)?

FYI, Xcode 10 Release Notes: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode_release_notes/xcode_10_release_notes

Signing and Distribution

New Features

Support for uploading apps to Apple via the command line. The

xcodebuild -exportArchive
command will perform an upload if the provided
ExportOptions.plist
contains a key named "destination" with value "upload". In addition, an Apple ID account with the necessary App Store Connect role and provider membership must be added in Xcode's Accounts preference pane. The "app-store", "developer-id", and "validation" distribution methods are supported for use from
xcodebuild
. (28555930)

After sending a support ticket to apple, they got back with me and said the below. This doesn't make any sense to me. I just want xcode server to report a passing build.
So far my conclusion is that xcode server is jut not a fully working product yet. Is there something I'm missing?? Everyone says that xcode server is supposed to do everything I'm looking for

We have reviewed your request and have concluded that there is no supported way to achieve the desired functionality given the currently shipping system configurations.

> Everyone says that

Does 'everyone' know that Xcode server changed, back w/Xcode 9, I believe?

What’s New in Signing for Xcode and Xcode Server

Not sure if you've figured this out, but hopefully this helps anyone else who has stumbled into this problem.

Basically, Xcode Server doesn't support uploading apps to the App store. What it means by that is it will check the ExportOptions.plist, if you have specified it in the configuration, and check the value of the "destination" key. If it is set to "upload" it will spit out the error above: "exportArchive: Xcode Server does not support uploading apps to Apple." So I would leave this as "export".

However you can still get Xcode Server to upload on your behalf by adding a trigger. Add a Post-Integration Script using the altool:

altool --upload-app -f $XCS_PRODUCT -u <username> -p <app-specific password>. Alternatively you could use fastlane but it's nice to have everything in one place.