Forgot to add "arkit" UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities in latest approved build

Hi there,

we are building an ARKit app using Unity and had several versions ot it approved for release on the Appstore. Because we re-implemented the way we handle the ARKit SDK in our project, we overwrote the ARKit Settings file by accident, which led to "arkit" not being added as a UIRequiredDeviceCapability in out .plist file. We didn't notice this when submitting for review and the app got through review and is now live, even though it will crash early on (after a loading screen) on iPhones without arkit support because arkit is a hard requirement (there is no "non-arkit" mode in the app).

Is there any way we can add this requirement back again? I have seen https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1623/_index.html,but we are in this weird position where we previously had the setting in and by mistake disabled it, so isn't there something that can be done other than removing the app from the store completely (and lose all current users) ? I have also contacted support on this but I generally get the answer that they are not responsible, and to submit a technical support request, but when I did that I also got a mail saying they were not responsible as it is not code-level support...

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks,

Flo

Replies

Seems it is app review's mistake to approve an app that effectively took something away from existing users...a practice that has been looked upon in a negative light by review in the past.

An example of what isn't allowed is to release a Universal app that supports both iphone and iPad, then try to make that same app iphone-only. However, app review might define removal of arkit support differently, but I would still politely ask for a phone call to see if they would at least take that into consideration and allow an updated app, with that setting restored, to be approved for the store.

Might want to also mention that they apparently approved an app that crashes outright 😉 - you want a specific dialog, vs. a general response, so it might take patience to reach that level of discourse.

>even though it will crash early on (after a loading screen) on iPhones without arkit support because arkit is a hard requirement (there is no "non-arkit" mode in the app).

I won't ask why it didn't do that when you tested prior to submittal/release...

Good luck.

Note this is not an offer to troubleshoot 3rd party tools.

Have you talked to App Review about this? They can remove the restriction that is preventing you from submitting a build that adds the ARKit required capability.

Hey, thank you, that sounds promising! Could you maybe link me to the correct support number/mail to inquire about this? It seems that every support I try to reach is either not technical enough or not responsible for this kind of request...

https://developer.apple.com/contact/

Then select App Review, and then Appeal the rejection. Explain that your apps main function requires ARKit and that you accidently submitted a version without the ARKit requried capabiliteies, which is causing a bad experiance for customers who don't have ARKit capabile devices. You would like the restriction removed so that you can submit a new version that limits the downloads to devices that only support ARKit.

Let us know how it goes.

Just to follow up, the latest answer from developer support was that, after some more research, they are unfortunately not able to offer me any help on this. There is no way for them to disable this requirement, and there is no way to go back to a previous version of the app. They, however, invited me to check out the "creating your first AR experience" page... which to me seems more like sass than offering real help (we have been working with ARKit for more than 1 year now, this was simply a QA mishap). So I think I will just accept the reality that we need to lose our current users or get bad reviews by unsupported users who download the app and then cannot play it. At this point I am just not able to invest more time into this... I will update if anything changes in the future.

Thanks for your help here!

Best,

Flo