How do I add 'com.apple.developer.bluetooth-central-background' entitlement for WatchOS?

Hello,

I am trying to write a WatchOS app that runs as a Bluetooth central in the background. I added 'UIBackgroundModes' value 'bluetooth-central' but when I try to upload to TestFlight I get an error:

"Missing entitlement. watchOS extension '<my app name>' uses 'UIBackgroundModes' value 'bluetooth-central' without the required entitlement 'com.apple.developer.bluetooth-central-background' signed into the bundle."

I tried adding this entitlement manually as it wasn't in the available list but then XCode complains it can provision with that entitlement in there.

Has anyone successfully made this work or does CoreBluetooth just not work in the background for WatchOS?

Thank you for your time.

Replies

Hi Lathrey,

Did you manage to resolve this? I'm encountering the same error when I upload my app to Testflight.

This feature (waking up the app when something happen over BLE) is not supported in watchOS.
Communicating over BLE when the app is in the background and not suspended works even without this background mode

The 'com.apple.developer.bluetooth-central-background' entitlement is required for apps to use CoreBluetooth background capabilities on the watch.

This is a special entitlement given out very selectively, and currently it is only available to developers with watchOS apps communicating with Continuous Glucose Monitoring devices.

We currently have no timeline we can share, about when this might be expanded to other applications.

Add a Comment