iOS App Store allows users to attempt download of my iPad app to their iPhone and then fails with a "device not compatible" error

I've produced a Link Maker URL for my iPad iOS app on my web page at http://www.fatdog.com/abcJump/.When users access the link via their iPhone, the App Store entry for my app shows up and seemingly allows the user to attempt a download, even though it's iPad-only. The download proceeds for a moment and then aborts with a "Device not compatible" error. This is very confusing for any users who are visiting my web page from an iPhone. Why does the app store even show the iPad-only app in this case?

Is there something I need to do with the Link-Maker-generated link to disallow invocation from an iPhone. The app also have a tvOS version; I don't know if that's related to this problem or not.

Accepted Reply

Your webpage funnels all users to the store, regardless of platform. That process apparently bypasses the store mechanism that would otherwise block iphone users outright.

I see that when searching by name for that app on iPhone, it isn't found/offered, so the store works properly at that level.

I think the eventual abort is as good as you can expect. Anyone confused after your page -and- the store both emphasize iPad isn't going to be helped much by additional handholding, I think 😉

Otherwise, you might try configuring your server to sniff user agent and bifurcate that page when the visitor is strictly phone based.

Good luck.

Replies

Just to add: I've checked that "Targeted Device Family" = iPad, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Your webpage funnels all users to the store, regardless of platform. That process apparently bypasses the store mechanism that would otherwise block iphone users outright.

I see that when searching by name for that app on iPhone, it isn't found/offered, so the store works properly at that level.

I think the eventual abort is as good as you can expect. Anyone confused after your page -and- the store both emphasize iPad isn't going to be helped much by additional handholding, I think 😉

Otherwise, you might try configuring your server to sniff user agent and bifurcate that page when the visitor is strictly phone based.

Good luck.