metal Guide or tutorials for people who are not familiar with OpenGL?

I'm an ameteur programmer. I have a specific interest in 3d programming. Very limted experience with OpenGL, and Quickdraw3d. Not enough to have a hierarchy for the whole API in my head... basically hello world tutorials, and begginning guides.

I would like to learn metal, but every single reference, guide or tutorial I have found assumes experience (over my level of experience) with OpenGL.

so what happens is, I get through the first hello world examples rather quickly, but then the bottom drops out, and words cease to have context or meaning, because they assume a context that is not in evidence. for instance, I 'get' buffers,

I would much rather learn Metal in the context of Metal.

so are there any resources anyone can think of, that doesn't assume OpenGL experience? that will explain passed the basics in plain language?

Replies

There is a book called "Metal Programming Guide" by Janie Clayton. I found it very helpful.

Comming from an OpenGL background, an ice breaker for me was to make a throw away project that simply rendered a textured spinning cube.

Hi macnib,

i have that book. and it does seem a wonderful resource. But the main problem is in that book as well. I have a large number of questions, really too many to list, because I am not coming from OpenGl, and every resource out there assumes you already know OpenGL.

Im at a point where I’m actually questioning if I have to learn OpenGL, in order to then forget OpenGL, in order to learn how to use metal.

its not like I can chose in advance to only research the parts of OpenGL that apply to metal.

There is also a new book on programming Metal from Ray Wenderlich at h t t p s ://store.raywenderlich.com/products/metal-by-tutorials

I highly recommend this book. I just completed it. There is a support web site and the authors are extremely responsive in answering questions and providing pointers. The only thing missing are some of the more recent advanced features (e.g. heaps and indirect command buffers). But with this background from the book you can watch the WWDC talks, read the rather weak reference pages from Apple, and figure it out.