About watch app on App Store

This app will exist in 2 versions:

- one for IOS alone

- one for IOS plus a watchOS extension, at a higher price.

- the IOS part is essentially the same (except connection to the watch of course)

I have a few basic questions about appstore:

- how to publish both ? They should have the same name but not the same price

- I want user to be able to first buy IOS alone and later upgrade to IOS + watchOS

- Is there a tutorial on how to put watch OS app on appstore ?

Accepted Reply

>a way is to have 2 app, a basic and a pro, with basic including IAP to upgrade to Pro.

Yes, this is one approach - 2 different apps. But there would be no "IAP upgrade to Pro". This approach was used extensively before IAPs came along.

>the watch extension should just say "Buy watch extension"

No, you would be advised to do more. You have already programmed the full function app so disabling certain functions is easy. Another approach is disabling functions after a free trial period and reverting to "Buy IAP to continue using the Watch". I have an app Lap Swim - it is a swimming timer and lap counter. Without IAP it gives 250 laps and then converts to just a timer. That acts as a marketing tool to convince the user they want to upgrade.

>I do not know how 'non-functional' App Review will allow the Apple Watch component of the app to be before the IAP. Use that pre-IAP reduced functionality to 'sell' the IAP upgrade.

Replies

- You can't have two apps on the App Store with exactly the same name. You could add a plus to the name like "App+" for the second app. But....

- You can't upgrade from one app to another app. But you could have just one app and unlock the Apple Watch feature with an in-app purchase (at least I think that's allowed).

- There is lots of information on creating Apple Watch apps and putting them on the App Store. Check developer.apple.com.

Regarding using an IAP for the Apple Watch functionality - the non-upgraded version (i.e. before IAP) will still have to be available on the Apple Watch but it can do very little before IAP. An IAP can then enable the Apple Watch to do lots more. The problem is that an IAP can only unlock code within the App but it's not 'locked code' that makes an app appear on the Apple Watch; it's the initial set up. I do not know how 'non-functional' App Review will allow the Apple Watch component of the app to be before the IAP. Use that pre-IAP reduced functionality to 'sell' the IAP upgrade.

Thanks Chuck.

I looked at developer.apple.com, found the Apple Watch page, but nothing specifi to app distribution there. Probably I did not look at the right place ?

Seen the basics here? https://developer.apple.com/watchos/submit/

So, I am a bit confused and look for best practices in this domain : when searching the App store, seems that a way is to have 2 app, a basic and a pro, with basic including IAP to upgrade to Pro.

But being forced to provide a limited functionality for watch extension was not really something I considered.

In that case, the watch extension should just say "Buy watch extension" ; not sure that will pass review. And not a very good user experience, to install just to see it does nothing.

In addition, if downloaded to iPad, it makes no sense to provide a watch extension in the basic version, does it ?

>a way is to have 2 app, a basic and a pro, with basic including IAP to upgrade to Pro.

Yes, this is one approach - 2 different apps. But there would be no "IAP upgrade to Pro". This approach was used extensively before IAPs came along.

>the watch extension should just say "Buy watch extension"

No, you would be advised to do more. You have already programmed the full function app so disabling certain functions is easy. Another approach is disabling functions after a free trial period and reverting to "Buy IAP to continue using the Watch". I have an app Lap Swim - it is a swimming timer and lap counter. Without IAP it gives 250 laps and then converts to just a timer. That acts as a marketing tool to convince the user they want to upgrade.

>I do not know how 'non-functional' App Review will allow the Apple Watch component of the app to be before the IAP. Use that pre-IAP reduced functionality to 'sell' the IAP upgrade.