iPhone XS frame rate issues

Has anyone else noticed artifacts that appear to be frame drops when developing for iPhone XS? We have an app that involves some UIView animations, it works smoothly on older devices such as iPhone 5S and iPhone X (all running iOS 12).

However on the iPhone XS the animations stutter. Instruments reports that we are not dropping any frames and are running at a smooth 60fps, this is not reflected visually on the device.

I created an incredibly simple sample project containing 20 128x128 black background UIViews within a larger UIView superview. The superview is moved 5.0 points to the left every update (updates are triggered by CADisplayLink with a preferred FPS of 60.0). Even with this simple setup the display still stutters regularly. (1% CPU use, instruments reporting zero frame drops, no threads blocked).

I have tried this on two separate iPhone XS physical devices and seen identical results, while the older models run fine.

I've issued a bug report with Apple but I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing this behaviour? Or if anyone is at least able to replicate it?

I wonder how widespread it is.

Replies

I’ve realised some fps drops when i pull down the control centre and push it back up i always spot fps drops there, just a normal use of iPhone XS. i agree with you..

Please notify and nag apple about this. There is definitely a big problem with the new phones, I observe the same on several 3D games, even problems with playing movies, everything is ok on iPhone X but on the Xs you can see big frame drops in 3D animations.

Seems to be very common actually. There's a huge thread of people noticing system-wide frame rate drops in their XS and XS Max models.

It's highly intereting your instruments do not 'see' any frame drops, but your eyes do, indeed many of us see them as well.

The thread has 32 pages so far and has hundreds of replies:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8565789?answerId=250155877022&page=31

I am amazed that this issue is not being reported by the somewhat “hypercritical” bloggers, who are sure to notice tiny things like a very slightly bent iPad. One of the things I loved about iOS (before ~iOS 7) was the smoothness of the animations. In recent years, some roughness has crept into the user interface, but the UI has been vastly improved in iOS 12. I was therefore shocked that the top iphone had this jitter, intermittently with all types of animations, not only scrolling. This behavior is very jarring to me (but perhaps not to other owners?)

My iPhone 7+ is silky smooth, so I decided to return my XS Max, which was very annoying to use largely because of the animation shudder (also the very annoying off axis color changes on a white screen, but that is another thread...).

I am also surprised that the instruments in Xcode do not notice it. Could this problem be at a hardware level which is not being interrogated by the instruments? If so, it might be hard to fix in software.

Does your iPhone 7 run the same IOS version than the Xs ?

Yes, exactly the same.

No luck with bug reporting, it's been several months now.

We have a game that's been on hold for launch for months because this issue severely kills performance on XS (flagship) models.

We have bug reports filed and DTS cases with Apple to no avail.

Below is a video of the test case we sent to Apple back in October.

Apple iPhone XS Stuttering with basic CADisplayLink UIView frame adjustments

This is simply a CADisplayLink with a target FPS of 60.0 adjusting the frame of a series of opaque UIViews by a fixed value every update.

This only happens when using CADisplayLink, when using Spritekit animations are smooth.

We've tested each iPhone down to iPhone 4 with this code and they run smoothly with no stuttering. So what's going on inside the XS and why do these drops not appear when profiling with Instruments?

Our game has been frozen as a result of this and I've seen many examples of games already live on the store that are affected by this. (Basically any game that relies on CADisplayLink for its updates).

What frustrates me most is support for these issues is being directed at App Developers and not Apple. What more can we as developers do?

Are people still seeing frame rate issues with the new iPhones?

Since I returned my iPhone XS Max 6 months ago, I don't know whether the problem has been fixed. There are still several forums with complaints, though Apple took down their long thread (at 40+ pages) for some reason.

I am beginning to think that it is a problem with the A12 GPU since I have an iPad Mini 5 which has similar problems. My old Mini 4 often has smoother animations despite the SOC being 4 generations older. The A12 GPU is designed by Apple (the second year they did this, I think) and has fewer cores than the older GPUs, for whatever that is worth.