iPhone Model Identification

Is there a programmatic way to identify whether the new iPhone (XS Max / XR) is an eSIM enabled dual SIM device or it has dual SIM trays (China / Hongkong specific models)?

Also, on the iPad, is there a programmatic way to identify if the device supports only WiFi or it supports both WiFi + Cellular?

Replies

Also, on the iPad, is there a programmatic way to identify if the device supports only WiFi or it supports both WiFi + Cellular?

Are you asking:

• Does the iPad have cellular hardware?

• Does the iPad have working WWAN?

• Does the iPad have WWAN that you can use?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Correct. Based on the hardware capabilities, can we identify an iPad that it has only support for WiFi and not cellular or both WiFi + Cellular? If this information can be found out within our app in a programatic way then it would be helpful.

Correct.

Ah, um, I posted three options — which one is correct?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi,

Let me explain what we would want to achieve within our app. For eg: If someone uses iPad 2017 A1822 (Wi-Fi) model which has only WiFi capability then our app should be able to detect that it has only WiFi support. If someone uses iPad 2017 A1823 (Wi-Fi + cellular) which has both WiFi + Cellular support then our app should detect that it has both WiFi + Cellular support. Based on the model, our app will take different flows.

To answer you question, it can be any of the three options mentioned by you and our app should be able to identify which iPad model it is.

Also, for the iPhone, can you let me know how we can identify eSIM enabled model and dual SIM tray model from the app?

OK, it seems that you’re primarily concerned with whether the iPad has cellular hardware or not. I don’t think there’s a supported way to do that.

can you let me know how we can identify eSIM enabled model and dual SIM tray model from the app?

Likewise.

Why are you so interested in the hardware cellular features? Most questions I get like this are from folks building an app for a cellular carrier. Is that what you’re doing?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”