Where is telnet Mac OS X Mojave

Hi folks,

Last year I wrote an article about installing telnet and ftp on Mac OS X High Sierra, you can read the article at the link below:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/91472

With the release of Mac OS X Mojave, I realized that telnet and fpt have not been installed again, as I use a lot this system tools to development and test systems and networks. Well I returned to my old article and I noticed that some friends of the forum suggested using ports or by homebrew, which are two valid solutions to solve the problem, but I personally do not like to use them, as they’ ll install telnet and ftp, and will overwrite several programs that have already come in the default installation of Mac OS X.

So, I once again followed the step-by-step of my old article and installed exactly what I needed, telnet and ftp.

The entire procedure has been reviewed and tested with Mac OS X Mojave and is running 100% correctly.

Follow the step-by-step instructions:

1 - It is required that you have XCODE installed and configured to be able to compile the packages. Access the terminal / shell

2 - Download the latest version of the gnu-inetutils package, in my case inetutils-1.9.4, at:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/inetutils/

You can use curl to download the inetutils, as below:

curl -OL http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4.tar.gz

3 - Unpack with:

tar xvjf inetutils-1.9.4.tar.gz

4 - Enter the inetutils-1.9.4 folder with:

cd inetutils-1.9.4

5 - Configure the package with the following:

As I said in the introduction to this article, the gnu-inetutils package contains many client and server applications. I have even noticed that many are already installed in the Mojave. As I don't like to overwrite applications that are already come in OS X, I selected exactly what I want to install, in my case, ftp and telnet clients. As you can see below, the configure line disable all servers and others programs:

./configure --disable-servers --disable-dnsdomainname --disable-hostname --disable-ping --disable-ping6 --disable-rcp --disable-rexec --disable-rlogin --disable-rsh --disable-logger --disable-talk --disable-tftp --disable-whois --disable-ifconfig --disable-traceroute

6 - To compile execute:

make

7 - For the installation I don't use make install, I preferred to copy only the necessary files to /usr/local/bin/ , as below:

sudo cp telnet/telnet /usr/local/bin/

sudo cp ftp/ftp /usr/local/bin/

8 - Now you can use telnet and ftp as you like.

Replies

Am trying this on Mojave 10.14.5

I checked in other article of yours and tried this step still faining to get /urs/local/bin folder.

I followed every step as mentioned.

Test-MacBook-Air:inetutils-1.9.4 auto$ ls -alsh /usr/local/

total 0

0 drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 96B Jul 15 2019 .

0 drwxr-xr-x@ 9 root wheel 288B Jul 15 2019 ..

0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0B Jul 15 2019 .com.apple.installer.keep=============> Did not get the expected o/p

Test-MacBook-Air:inetutils-1.9.4 auto$ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin===============> But here I can

Test-MacBook-Air:inetutils-1.9.4 auto$ sudo cp telnet/telnet /usr/local/bin/

Password:

cp: directory /usr/local/bin does not exist

sudo mkdir -p -m 775 /usr/local/bin

After this I was able to copy and telnet did work !! Yey 🙂