6 Replies
      Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 9:11 AM by ShinehahGnolaum
      ShinehahGnolaum Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How do I write code that runs a block of code when a series of operations finishes? Basically I want to do with OperationQueue what I would normally do with DispatchGroup and DispatchQueue.

• Re: How do I write code to be run when a group of operations finish running in an operation queue?
          OOPer Level 7 Level 7 (4,765 points)

OperationQueue has some observable properties such as `operationCount`.

Or you can use `waitUntilAllOperationsAreFinished()` when already in background thread.

Using `dependencies` of `Operation` can be another choice.

Which best fits for your purpose may depened on your current code. Please show your code.

I would use `DispatchGroup` though.

• Re: How do I write code to be run when a group of operations finish running in an operation queue?
              ShinehahGnolaum Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have made the operations to run serially in the queue by setting the max concurrent count to 1 and adding each operation to the queue to wait until finished. They are file operations, so I think they have to be done in order. I run a serios of BlockOperation objects as defined for the variable "operation". I think all I need to do is add the operation that I need to run at the end, which is defined for the variable "operationReloadData".

Am I doing this the best way possible? You said you would use DispatchGroup. I thought Apple recommends using the highest level of abstraction.

internal let coordinationQueue: OperationQueue = {

let coordinationQueue = OperationQueue()

coordinationQueue.name = "us.gnolaum.coordinationQueue"

coordinationQueue.maxConcurrentOperationCount = 1

return coordinationQueue

}()

let operation = BlockOperation {

let readIntent = NSFileAccessIntent.readingIntent(with: item.url, options: [])

let destinationURL = self.localDocumentsURL.appendingPathComponent(item.url.lastPathComponent)

let writeIntent = NSFileAccessIntent.writingIntent(with: destinationURL, options: .forReplacing)

NSFileCoordinator().coordinate(with: [readIntent, writeIntent], queue: coordinationQueue) { error in
                              if error != nil {
                                  return
                              }

do {

try self.defaultFileManager.copyItem(at: readIntent.url, to: writeIntent.url)

} catch {

print(error.localizedDescription)

}

}

}

coordinationQueue.addOperations([operation], waitUntilFinished: true)

let operationreloadData = BlockOperation {

OperationQueue.main.addOperation {

self.tableView.reloadData()

}

}

coordinationQueue.addOperations([operationreloadData], waitUntilFinished: true)