Xcode 10.0 diagnosticd high CPU w/iPhone XR Simulator

Hi All,

I've got the new 2018 MacBook Pro 15" (15,1) running High Sierra 10.13.6 and the Xcode 10.0 (10A255) release version and am having the following recurring issue.

I've got an iOS project that I'm running in the simulator. In this case I'm actually running XCTests. The total tests run for about 4 seconds.

At this point, Xcode looks like it's idle, but my fans spin up to full speed and Activity Monitor shows me:

diagnosticd 170% cpu

diagnosticd 82% cpu

notifyd 78% cpu

SpringBoard 78% cpu

Sometimes it shows diagnosticd higher like 350% CPU, but always diagnosticd is the highest.

The computer doesn't seem to be doing anything. Both Xcode and Simulator are responsive.

If I close the simulator, these disappear and the fans spin back down.

This happens 100% of the time with the iPhone XR simulator, but doesn't seem to happen at all with any of the others, including the XS and XS Max.

Anyone else seeing this?

Replies

I know this is an old question but I was running into the same problem where the diagnosticd and the ReportCrash processes started to consume high percentages of CPU and the fans would start. After trying many things I found that the only thing that worked was to go to the simulator "Hardware" menu and select "Erase All Content and Settings...". Then quit the simulator and start it again. After that, the problem goes away. Hope this helps anybody searching for a fix for this issue which still is happening in XCode 11.2.1 running on Mojave 10.14.6.

I am facing a similar issue where all the eight CPU cores are running with full capacity and the temperate exceeds 200℉.
  • MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

• macOS Catalina 10.15.6

• Xcode 11.6

• Using real iPhone

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Yeah, having exactly the same problem with simulators, Xcode 12.4 (12D4e). Have not figured out a fix yet, previously erasing content from simulator or making new simulator helped, does not seem to help anymore...
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of PGHM Down vote reply of PGHM
I have Xcode 12.4 both iMac 2017 and MacBook Pro 2019, both machines have Catalina.

The simulator and playground are very very slow, take at least 20 minutes to start on iMac 2017. But they run pretty fast on MBP 2019. Hope Apple can fix the bug.

I'm facing the same bug on my new Macbook Pro M2 14 Inch, it seems like a very old bug, and because of this I don't even open Xcode, I cannot work, the laptop gets so hot, if it's 5 years old unfixed bug it might be better get a refund.