eSIM and the SM-DP+ address

Hi all

I'm trying to get my two carriers on a single XS. I have the 12.1 beta (16B5059d) and am able to get to the point of adding a second line (or moving the nanoSIM) to the eSIM. The phone is unlocked, so no carrier restriction.

We'll call the two carriers/lines A and T.

When I contacted T, they actually attempted to activate the eSIM using the EID. Everythig got switched over, but after several hours and restarts, I couldn't make or receive calls. The only data was over WIFi. When I added the nanoSIM from A while the eSIM was still allegedly active from T, I could make and receive calls on the A line.

With that minor success, knowing the phone would work wtih either nanoSIM, I put T's nanoSIM back in the XS and moved A's nanoSIM back to the older phone it had been in before I got the XS.

I called A's technical support and asked them very simply for the SM-DP+ address and Activation Code the Settings app asks for when you go to add a cellular plan and choose to enter the details manually.

This thoroughly confused the less than helpful tech from A. When I tried the same thing with the techs from T, I had varying levels of help, including being told I needed to wait for a software update (which I have...12.1 gives me the things I need), to their not supporting eSIM. The tech from A said just as much, but it was at least consolidated into a single person who gave conflicting information.

That long-ish back-story brings me to the question: How have you been able to get your provider to give you the SM-DP+ address and Activation Code (and optional Confirmation Code) so you can test using multiple lines (from multiple carriers) on a single device?

Replies

My guess from talking to "T" the other day is that they haven't gotten their paperwork and systems instructions yet. I imagine that carrier support will be available across the board no sooner than when 12.1 goes public.

Support in the beta may also be out specifically for the carriers' engineers to do systems testing, since it requires additions to the POS, internal OSS, apps, websites, etc.

You could go over to GigSky or Truphone and sign up to be notified when they support eSIM. That would probably be a clue as to the big three carriers nearing support.

Few things • First, you’re very lucky they gave you that info in the first place for T • Second, if A is AT&T and T is T-Mobile, then it won’t work on the beta or release — you can’t use 2 GSM or 2 CDMA carriers at the same time • Cartier staff aren’t trained on this yet because it’s in beta and nobody (99%) of people don’t have access to it — you’ll need to wait until iOS 12.1 fully releases to have your carrier know what you’re talking about

I think you can go to GigSky or Truphone and subscribe to eSIM support when you are notified. This could be an indication of the close support of the big three carriers.
Not
USB chip not working