Running xCode 10 on device error

Hello everyone,

So I am a Primary Teacher with no coding experience but I would (eventually) like to develop a simple app to help teach phonics in my class. I have literally no coding experience and I have started to learn with CodewithChris tutorial videos on youtube. I have been doing ok at following along with these videos so far

However, my simulator is slow as treacle (probably as my macbook pro is late 2011 with 8GB) so I have been trying to get builds to run on my device (iphone 7 plus). The simple card game I made up said build suceeded on simulator but not the device. I made a new program with simply 2 images in it on the storyboard to see it I could make it run and I am still having issues.

I am using xcode 10 - am i doing something really silly?

Showing Recent Issues

CopySwiftLibs /Users/CB/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/tryout-gglolnphjcrporczheotssazrnqq/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/tryout.app (in target: tryout)

cd /Users/CB/Desktop/MagneticBoard\ Project/tryout

export CODESIGN_ALLOCATE=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/codesign_allocate

export DEVELOPER_DIR=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

export SDKROOT=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS12.0.sdk

builtin-swiftStdLibTool --copy --verbose --sign C5801F11EE70041A3EB2315AA69C8FF0C3D9F793 --scan-executable /Users/CB/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/tryout-gglolnphjcrporczheotssazrnqq/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/tryout.app/tryout --scan-folder /Users/CB/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/tryout-gglolnphjcrporczheotssazrnqq/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/tryout.app/Frameworks --scan-folder /Users/CB/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/tryout-gglolnphjcrporczheotssazrnqq/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/tryout.app/PlugIns --platform iphoneos --toolchain /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain --destination /Users/CB/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/tryout-gglolnphjcrporczheotssazrnqq/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/tryout.app/Frameworks --strip-bitcode --resource-destination /Users/CB/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/tryout-gglolnphjcrporczheotssazrnqq/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/tryout.app --resource-library libswiftRemoteMirror.dylib --strip-bitcode-tool /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/bitcode_strip --emit-dependency-info /Users/CB/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/tryout-gglolnphjcrporczheotssazrnqq/Build/Intermediates.noindex/tryout.build/Debug-iphoneos/tryout.build/SwiftStdLibToolInputDependencies.dep

error: Failed with exit code 1

Replies

What is the IOS version on your iPhone ?

Have you set the target in XCode accordingly ?

- select the program name at the top of the project navigator (left pane of XCode)

- select the Project

- Look at deployment target and check that it is anterior to your iPhone's IOS version

Thanks Claude,

I am running iOS12 on my phone.

In the toolbar, I have chosen my phone from under the heading Device. I didn't see an option for iOS version.

If IOS is version 12, no need to check for XCode target.

However, if you want to see the target :

- in the left pane, below the 6 smal icons (including the search icon), you have a file name with a blue icon (your app name)

- select it

- then select the Project name

- and select Info tab (not Build settings)

- the deployment target appears first.

Did you do a clean Build Folder (Product menu of XCode) ?

Thanks again,

I reselected 12.0 as the deployment target and did a clean build. The program is literally just an image at the moment until I can ensure I can run it.

Still not working?

Could you check your signing settings :

- in the left pane, below the 6 smal icons (including the search icon), you have a file name with a blue icon (your app name)

- select it

- then select the TARGETS name

- and select General tab

- Signing settings appears second.

Another check.

I have been trying to get builds to run on my device (iphone 7 plus)

- So you connected your iPhone with USB cable ?

- and selected it as the target at the very top in XCode ?

>no coding experience but I would (eventually) like to develop a simple app

Sorry if I missed it - do you have a paid Developer Program account or are you attempting to use Xcode's 'free provisioning'?

Have you been able to build any apps to any device, so far?