Did the UDID change from 40 to 24 characters?

I just received my new iPhone Xs Max today and was trying to add it to the provisioning portal.

Has the format of the UDID changed?

iTunes no longer displays the UDID when you click the serial number.

xCode displays an "identifier" that is formatted 00000000-0000000000000000 (24 charaters plus a dash).

I plugged my old iPhone X into iTunes and xCode and the UDID displayed as usual in both apps.

The portal accepted the new identifier for the Xs Max. There is no documentation anywhere of the change. I am apprehensive to install the provisioning profile and update my phone until I know that I have entered the correct information.

I just want to make sure it is the correct number since its a different format than the last 5 or 6 years. I don't want to brick my phone because I have the wrong identifier in the portal.

Replies

You should contact directly Apple Support or maybe go to a Genius Bar (if you have one close).

>I don't want to brick my phone because I have the wrong identifier in the portal.

Not sure how that particular worry arose, but I seriously doubt the Portal or the related process has that power over a device.

I'd be more worried the Portal will think it's a touch or ATV 😉

Interesting info here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/108848