I lost all my source functions in Xcode 10

Hi,

After upgrading to Xcode 10, all of the source control functions are greyed out, and the source control navigator says "No working copies".

Why did this happen and how can I fix it?

Frank

Replies

Just to be sure, have you already tried all the usual stuff:

• make sure you're running the latest version of Xcode 10 (currently Version 10.0 (10A255), different from first GM)
  • check to make sure the .git/ directory exists somewhere (what does
    $ git status
    in the terminal give?)
  • restart Xcode
  • restart the computer

Yes I did reboot, and I never had any earlier released of Xcode 10 on my computer. I checked my repository from the command line and it seems fine. I can still update and commit that way. I use svn (subversion) rather than git for this particular project.

SVN is not supported in Xcode 10.

Check the release notes. Xcode 10 Release Notes

Deprecation Notices

Deprecations

Support for Subversion has been removed. (33361671)

You may need to move to git if you want to use SCM feature of Xcode.

That can't be right. I've been using SVN with Xcode for almost 10 years. Apple wouldn't just stop supporting it.

I do not mind what you believe, but have you visited the link I have shown? It's not a fake site.

There's another version of Xcode release notes: Xcode 9.0.

Source Control

Deprecations

Subversion integration will be deprecated in a future release. (33041914)

In fact the first deprecation notice was found in the Release notes of Xcode 9 beta 3, more than one year ago, enough time to move some SVN repositories to git.

Yes, I see it, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

SVN is the most popular version control system in the world, used for decades by millions of developers. I don't think Apple would have intentionally decided that their IDE didn't need to support it.

I'm guessing this is either a mistake or some temporary thing that will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, I'll use the command line.

SVN is the most popular version control system in the world,

SVN was the most popular version control system in the world, accoding to some statistics found with "what is the most popular version control system in the world".

In my opinion, believe and wait is not a good way to convince Xcode team of reviving SVN support.

Write a feature request with your best appealing statements on how important SVN support is for so many developers.

Call as many developers as you can to write similar requests.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and, of course, you are free to ignore it.

OOPer is correct. Xcode no longer has any direct support or integration with SVN. The switch to git started years ago, and the coming deprecation was repeated called out in release notes and WWDC sessions. IIRC the change was made because git is technically superior for Xcode's IDE model.

As you said, you can still use SVN from the command line or external app. You just won't be able to use the SCM functions within Xcode.

OOPer wrote:

"enough time to move some SVN repositories to git."

Not for me. I work on a large project in a mid-size company. Migrating the repository to a different system involves many peolpe agreeing and justifying the cost.

The benefit of developing on Apple (I can choose Apple, Linux, Windows) has just dropped one more point. To browse the repo "as you type" used to be one of the outstanding Pluses with XCode.

I was hoping they would support svn for some time longer.

The only benefit to developing on Apple is access to Apple's customer base. If the cost to migrate to git is more than what you can make from your Apple apps, then dropping Apple is long overdue for you.