Xcode quick help only has declaration information no more details

Is there a setting for this information inside Quick Help panel somehow turned off by default in Xcode 10.

Xcode 9 worked very well.

Replies

Same problem here, however the result vary depending on the type of object you select. Some examples of object that are missing quick help: UILabel, UITableViewController, UITextView.

I upgrade to Xcode 10 on monday and quick help was working, in fact the results were improved over xcode 9. But today I did a fresh boot on the mac and quick help stopped working as described above.

Tested both on XCode10GM and XCode10.1 beta.

Works OK on both, with a complete description.

Note: did reboot since installing XCode10GM, but not after installing 10.1

Just tested UILabel and got this on XCode 10GM

Summary

A view that displays one or more lines of read-only text, often used in conjunction with controls to describe their intended purpose.

Declaration

class UILabel : UIView, NSCoding, UIContentSizeCategoryAdjusting

Discussion

The appearance of labels is configurable, and they can display attributed strings, allowing you to customize the appearance of substrings within a label. You can add labels to your interface programmatically or by using Interface Builder.

The following steps are required to add a label to your interface:

• Supply either a string or an attributed string that represents the content.
  • If using a nonattributed string, configure the appearance of the label.
  • Set up Auto Layout rules to govern the size and position of the label in your interface.
  • Provide accessibility information and localized strings.

Open in Developer Documentation

Perhaps I need to reinstall Xcode. This is what I get on my system:

Screen shots do not show on the forum.

You can try reinstalling. But did you first try to do a Clean Build Folder (option click in the menu), to reset caches ?

Yes I did a full clean on my project and I checked the documentation cache (seems ok?)

Michaels-MBP:~ mjc$ ls -l ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DocumentationCache/v117/10.0/DeveloperDocumentation.index/store.db

-rw------- 1 mjc staff 19206144 Sep 17 14:25 /Users/mjc/Library/Developer/Xcode/DocumentationCache/v117/10.0/DeveloperDocumentation.index/store.db

Same problem when I open other projects. Before I re-install xcode I'm going to look for a way to re-install the documentation cache.

Curious: How did you copy/paste the text for UILabel in your post above?

Same problem for me. This solved it: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52392264/how-to-get-the-quick-help-back-in-xcode-10

For copy and paste from documentation, I just did it directly: copy the selection and paste it. And it keeps text formatting.