Java in Safari 12

Hi, It appears that there is no longer a Java Plug-in allowed to be run in Safari 12. I have installed Java jre-8u181-macosx-x64, which is the latest. It shows it is installed correctly, but there is no longer a Plug-in listed below the Flash Plug-in under Preferences: Websites: Plug-ins in the bottom left hand corner. There just seems to be no way to enable it.

There are some very important java based apps I need to run on my Mac such as government supplied tax apps and it seems they no longer run under Google Chrome or Firefox either.

Does anyone know a way to make this work please?

Replies

Same problem here.

Yeah same problem for me to. I hope Oracle will release an update a.s.a.p. because it is still needed for certain sites which insist on using this crap instead of jumping to more modern code language.

Em Portugal práticamente todos os sites oficiais usam o java. Agora tenho de usar o Explorer do Windows para poder trabalhar.

All browsers are deprecating java support. Oracle is no longer supporting the NPAPI used for java plugin support as of Java 9, and the applet API classes are deprecated (note that Java 10 is current and Java 11 is due out soon).

The recommended approach is to use Web Start (which itself likely won't last very long) or use a native Java app. Note that JDK8 and later include the `javapackager` tool which can create native installations on supported platforms that include the JRE needed to run the application. This means the user doesn't need to install Java separately; just install the app and it runs. (While I'm not thrilled with the increased in payload size, this does avoid all of the hassles with people trying to run application code on outdated JREs.)