iOS 12 Launch App on Startup

Is there a way to launch an app under iOS 12 when the iPhone starts up? I'm considering using an iPhone for remote monitoring hardware but the app needs to start whenever the device starts.

Replies

I think it can be done using MDM (Google ”iOS kiosk mode”). I don’t have any experience personally though.

There are various options here and the best option depends on your specific requirements. For example, as junkpile mentioned, you can use various ‘kiosk mode’ APIs for this (for the full list, see this thread), but those only make sense if your device is dedicated to monitoring that hardware. Is that the case?

Also, any other background you can provide would be helpful. Specifically, what interface does your app use to connect to this hardware?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

The app uses the Redpark serial interface. This is an internal (business) app so there's no issue with App Store requirements. It communicates over LTE/WiFi back to my server. I'll want my field technicians to be able to unlock the phone to perform local diagnostics, so they would engage with this app for visual diagnostics and not just background processing. The software is managed through MDM profiles pushed as required by internal systems.

It sounds like these iOS are supervised (or should be supervised), in which case the App Lock payload seems like a good place to start. See the thread referenced by my previous post for details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi, enter this conversation here, because I simply want to do quite the same - opening an app after power has been plugged in - but without any extra hardware. The thread you mentioned points out that I probably have to use MDM, which I want to prevent. I've successfully:
- put my app into Single Appe Mode with the Apple Configurator 2
- disabled code & autolock
The aim is to switch the power on and the iPad should show the app. Currently it shows the homescreen and one must swipe from the iPad Pro border (which is not intended and hard to access if the iPad is safely stored in a kiosk stand). After doing this the app is properly visible. So the homescreen is the only hurdle here…