App Store Connect rejects new macOS entitlement: com.apple.security.automation.apple-events

Is anyone seeing the following error when trying to upload a macOS app with the new "com.apple.security.automation.apple-events" entitlement:

App Store Connect Operation Error
ERROR ITMS-90285: "Invalid Code Signing Entitlements. Your application bundle's signature contains code signing entitlements that are not supported on macOS. Specifically, key 'com.apple.security.automation.apple-events' in '[path to app]' is not supported."

This seems wrong to me. Our app is built with the hardened runtime option. Without this entitlement (and the associated temporary exception entitlement for the app we send Apple Events to), our app is blocked from sending Apple Events. So the entitlement is required for the app to work correctly (as per Apple), but ITMS rejects any app with said entitlement. What?

I can reproduce this error on brand-new-from-scratch Xcode projects that have (1) the hardened runtime enabled and (2) this entitlement turned on and (3) Automatic code signing management enabled.

I am at a loss here.

Replies

It looks like the backend responsible for verifying binaries was not yet updated for this new entitlement.

I am having the same issue with my app.

Mr. Brightside—if you can, it would be super helpful if you could also call developer support (and file a bug) to complain about this. Myself and a few other developers have already done this. Any extra noise we can make to bring attention to this issue will help. I've also filed bug 44460054 with Apple on the issue.

>it would be super helpful if you could also call developer support (and file a bug) to complain about this.

Remember to mention this (new tools released yet again by one group going unnoticed as actionable by another group yet again) is a routine, not new, habitual backend snafu that has existed in one form or another for some time now.

If you're experiencing this issue, please file a bug report and include the package you're attempting to upload as an attachment to the bug number. If you post the bug number here, we'll ensure the issue is escalated to the relevant engineering team ASAP for investigation.

Hi Jason,

Here is my bug report: 44432021. My Xcode archive was attached.

I reported bug 44460054 on Sept 14.

Thanks to everyone who filed bugs on this issue.

Please try uploading your app again. If it fails, please update your bug report with the time you attempted the upload. If you've changed the package since filing the bug, also include the updated package.

Good luck with your launches!