Music integration

Hi,

I've inherited a DJ app that was originally written before Apple Music existed.

The app is designed to work with iTunes. It uses MPMediaLibrary and MPMediaPickerController to let the user select songs from their iTunes library, and it uses AVAsset, AVAssetReader and related classes to access the audio data. The app has features like mixing, scratching, tempo detection and tempo matching, so it requires access to the raw audio data, not just a simple audio player.

My customer wants me to modify the app to work with Apple Music in addition to iTunes. Is such a thing possible in any way that makes sense?

I'm guessing it's not possible for apps to read the raw data stream from an Apple Music asset, but I'm thinking maybe this is possible if the user has previously downloaded the track or added it to their iTunes library. Any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Replies

>customer wants me to modify the app to work with Apple Music in addition to iTunes.

From the MusicKit API lead-in...

"MusicKit

MusicKit lets users play Apple Music and their local music library natively from your apps and now websites. When a user provides permission to their Apple Music account, your app can create playlists, add songs to their library, and play any of the millions of songs in the Apple Music catalog. If your app detects that the user is not yet an Apple Music member, you can offer a trial from within your app."