VPP redemption codes

I went through the process of writing a B2B app and then created a VPP account so that I could log in as a client and purchases redemption codes for that app to distribute to various iPads (Apple IDs). I was able to purchase a couple of redemption codes via the VPP web portal. Then I copied one of the redemption code links and emailed to an Apple ID associated with two iPads. Note that this particular app requires two iPads that are then linked together via Bluetooth, so the same Apple ID is on both iPads and I expect to download the same app on both. Anyway, I'm frustrated.

I received the link on the first iPad and I tapped it to do the installation. Oddly, the link takes me to the iTunes Store app on the iPad; not the App Store app. There was a confusing dialog that made little sense to me and led me to believe that the app was not installed, but it was, apparently, installed. That seems fine, although it was not a good user experience.

I was able to launch the app, but it does not show up in the Purchased section of the App Store app. Similarly, it does not show up on the other iPad in the Purchased history. When I try to click the same link on the second iPad, it reports that the code has already been redeemed, which makes sense, but there is no way to download the app on that iPad.

I then deleted the app from the first iPad, but it still does not show up in the Purchased history, so now I cannot re-download it on that iPad, either. Actually, to be more precise, the purchase does show up in my Purchase history in the iTunes & AppStore section in Settings, but the app does not show up in the Purchased section of the App Store app.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Is it possible that the fact that these two iPads are my development devices might be causing some kind of conflict? I really don't understand what is going on.

Replies

It appears that once the code is used once, it cannot be reused. even if the application is free. I am trying to find good information about updates but information seems hard to find.