Generating dSYM hangs Xcode 10

Summary: When turning on DWARF with dSYM File, my Xcode build hangs on the "Generating dSYM" step. If I let the build continue, that step will complete in about 20 minutes but my system freezes. On Xcode 9, this step took about 30 seconds.

Steps to Reproduce: Turn on DWARF with dSYM File in your Build Settings. Start a build.

Expected Results: "Generating dSYM" step takes a reasonable amount of time and doesn't freeze your Mac.

Actual Results: "Generating dSYM" step takes 20 minutes and freezes my Mac.

Version/Build: I only tested on Xcode 10 Beta 4 and Xcode 10 Beta 6 and both experience this issue. I am also using the Legacy Build system.

Files: I have attached a log in rdar://43332192

Replies

I'm seeing a similar issue. Xcode consumes all available system memory and the then machine freezes and needs to be rebooted. Have you found any workaround besides just disabling dSYMs? FWIW, choice of legacy vs new build system does not affect the issue for me, nor does cleaning the project or deleting all of the build intermediates.

Unfortunately nothing so far. I submitted a bug report and posted a spindump. The bug was then duped and is still open. Hoping the GM seed tomorrow solves the issue.

Me Too.

Xcode 10 Release Version.

Generating dSYM with Xcode 9 -> No problem aprox. 20 seconds

Generating dSYM with Xcode 10 -> after aprox. 10 minutes : no more memory + auto reboot.

YES : same solution !!

This is not acceptable!!!

How can i fix this.

I need the debug symbols to analyse crashes.

Same issue.

Has anyone tried Xcode 10.1 beta to see if l this is resolved?

xcode 10.1 beta -> same issue

Same issue !!!!

I have the same issue, mac pro with ssd and 16GB hangs more than 30 minutes with memory limit exceed on dSYM generation step. WIth XCode 9.3 all was fast and great. What to do??

Same issue. It happens when insert symbol failed

[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _ff_init_desc_fmt_convert
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _lum_convert
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _ff_init_desc_hscale
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _lum_h_scale
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _ff_init_desc_cfmt_convert
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _chr_convert
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _ff_init_desc_chscale
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _chr_h_scale
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _ff_init_desc_no_chr
[11:29:06]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _no_chr_scale
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _vlc_entry__audio_filter_libscaletempo_pitch
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _ClosePitch
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _PitchCallback
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64)  could not find object file symbol for symbol _DoPitchWork
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64)  failed to insert symbol '_DoWork' in the debug map.
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64
[11:29:19]: ▸ (arm64)  failed to insert symbol '_best_overlap_offset_float' in the debug map.

This symbols from MobileVLCKit (may be ffmpeg)

Same problem here, Arquiving build takes 24gb of RAM and computer reboots. Cannot make it work.

Happens only in Swift projects, c++, objective c the problem does not manifest here.

I have confirmed that removing MobileVLCKit makes this issue go away for me.

Same issue..

How can I resolve this issue without removing MobileVLCKit?

Me Too.

Xcode 10 Release Version / Swift 4.2

No dSYMs were found for Version

Me too.

We have the same issue. We have a project that mixes Obj-C and swift and uses Obj-c and swift frameworks.

I hope that this issue will be soon fixed by Apple.

We found a workaround to generate a development IPA:

- Archive in Xcode 10 by disabling dsym for release in project settings

- Export the IPA with Xcode 9