unable to remove APFS container in internal volume

When Mojave beta first became available, I initially attempted to install Mojave onto an external USB drive - which failed. Others on SO encountered the same.

I instead created a new 50 GB APFS container on my internal' Macintosh HD' drive and successfully installed Mojave. This has been running for 2 months plus, and with the latest beta (18A365a) I receive regular messages to the effect the volume/partition is running out of space (though 8 GB remains). I would now like to free the 50GB APFS volume space to be reabsorbed by the main 'Macintosh HD' volume.

Below are my machine specs, and screen shots of the volumes/containers. I have deleted the container using 'diskutil apfs deleteContainer' following viewing the containuer using 'diskutil apfs list' to get proper container name.

I select 'Container disk2' and the Volume +/- button the minus is dimmed. There doesn't appear to be any means within the Disk Utility app to delete. I reboot using Recovery mode (command-R), though this remains dimmed and still no joy on delete.

How can I free these two containers (disk1 and disk2) so they go back to being part of the main free pool for Macintohs HD?

The terminology is now much more confusing including (but not limited to):

partition

volume

container

HFS

APFS

Journaled

Extended

Disk Utility appears to need and upgrade to allow freely creating and deleting all these variants without resorting to diskutil.

___

As an aside, I would not have had these issues if the beta Mojave would have worked out of the box on an external USB drive...

THanks for your help Quinn.

Replies

>attempted to install Mojave

>the beta Mojave

Might want to move this to themacOS 10.14 beta forum, because the beta mojave, thanks and good luck.