Why Apple device provides wrong coordinates.

Hi All,

Issue 1) I am getting wrong coordinates issue with IPhone. Same code working fine with android device.

I have tested my app on multiple IPhone version (Iphone 7 plus, Iphone X, Iphone 6 and Ipad pro ).

In all Apple device I am getting wrong coordinates. I have also install Uber, google map app in my Iphone,

Uber and Google app also showing me wrong location. Same app working fine with android device.

I dont think issue is related to my app. There is certain going wrong with iphone devices.

Issue 2) In iphone, location jumping too much if we compare with android device. Some times location jumping approx more thand two kilometers

Framework: Meteor,

Plugin: cordova-plugin-geolocation.

Network type: Mobile sim 4g

Thanks

Replies

How 'wrong'? Two meters? Two miles?

Is Wifi turned ON during test ?

I've not experienced similar issue, on iPhones and on iPad (precision typically 10 to 20 meters) ; same from various developed apps.

No I have turn off device Wifi. I'm using 4G Sim for internet connection. Coordinates jumping is more than 500 meters some times it is more than 2 kilometers. Most frequently my Iphone showing wrong location and location distance is too much from my actual location.

Localization with cellular (4G or 3G) only is pretty course (they triangulate with tower stations I think).

Try to test with wifi ON and tell what you get.

HI, If I enable the Wifi on then its showing right location(accurate location). Issue occured only in cellular mode(4G or 3G or 2G).

That's quite normal AFAIKT. Precision of cellular localization is very poor.

So, in your app, you should warn user that localization would be improved with wifi On.

Good luck, and don't forget to close the thread if you've got the correct answer.

Fast & accurate location detection on any mobile device requires Wi-Fi and/or (fast) cellular data. GPS itself can be quite accurate but it's slow, typically takes 10 minutes to detect enough satellites. This is why I find tracking apps (e.g., for water sports or hiking) marginally unusable when you travel abroad unless you have data roaming on. Interestingly though, car GPS devices are very fast, even at remote locations, so I think they have built-in radios; this would also explain how they can receive traffic alerts.